Painted by my talented cousin, Richard Lewis. Click the picture to learn more about him.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

A View of So Good

(I'm reading tonight at the Thistle Coffee House, and I have an assignment to rework a poem previously written.  This is what I came up with, and what I'll use to open my set.  Should be fun....)

I’m putting on that dress –
yeah, that dress that makes you say,
Damn….
putting on those pumps -
yeah, those pumps that turn your head,
tell you to stare as I walk straight to you,
each step sure, each step saying,


Come caress this halo.
Stand next to this sunshine,
there are no shadows here.
Let yourself feel what you
know you want to feel.
And it’s going to feel so good….

How can this not?
This is a cocoa cotton candy kiss,
this is a sweet dream stepping your way.
Baby, this is better than good.

This is thick lips, full hips,
skin rich like mahogany gold.
This is treasure you don’t bury, you
share it, show it off, make it shine
so the world will know how good it is.

Because this? This is so good,
but you know this.
Your smile wide, you stand up with pride,
you show me some love,
show the world how happy you are
to have this gift, this treasure
I now share with you.

(c) 2011 - Tracey Morris, All Rights Reserved


(I tried to think of a woman with poise, undeniable sensuality, strength and a magentism that was bigger than life.  Eartha Kitt was the first to come to mind.  I want my poetry to be strong like she was in this performance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment