Painted by my talented cousin, Richard Lewis. Click the picture to learn more about him.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A View of "Goldilocks"

(Here's a piece that came from two completely unrelated offhand comments during two completely unrelated conversations. One was an observation about my vocal projection, the other was about the stereotypes around a woman cutting off her hair. I never know when inspiration will hit, but when it does, I'm thankful for it in any form.)

When I stood before and opened myself up to you,
you told me I wasn’t strong enough, I shouldn’t be so soft.
When I gave myself over to you, yielding to your whims,
you told me I was too passive, I should be more audacious.
When I let my hair cascade freely down my shoulders,
you told me I was being too vain, too eager for attention.
When I dared crop my coif, said farewell to my tresses,
you told me I forfeited my femininity, was too mature to be gamine.
When I was thin, denying myself nourishment to remain your ideal,
you told me you’d desire me more with curves that were thick.
When I became more voluptuous, engorging myself to please you,
you told me your arms could not contain me, you wished I were lithe.

I look at you now the way the bears saw Goldilocks;
an amusingly unnecessary annoyance to be banished.
I will wash my soiled dishes and make a new batch of porridge.
I will repair my broken chair and place it by the hearth.
I will fluff the pillows and change the sheets on my bed.
I will start anew and joyfully embrace my happily ever after,
by walking you to the door and pointing you toward yours.

(c) 2012 - Tracey Morris, All Rights Reserved

Photo found on the Glam Quotes website (www.glamquotes.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment